Friday, October 27, 2006

Self-Awareness

Isn't it interesting when you have several occurrences in a row from people giving you a "heads up", so to speak, about what you are really like?

Yeah n..e..a..t. *sigh*

Matt and I were cracking up about this last night as I began to go down a list of things that I have heard about myself in the last week that he had heard also,but was waiting to see if I would be able to have the new knowledge and not bring it up defensively to be reassured.

(I lasted a week...I think that's pretty good, right?)

Like my son Sam told me this week, "Mom, I don't want to hurt your feelings but you really are still very pretty even with those zits that you get!"

Um, thanks?

Then, Matt's friend Abe and I were talking over dinner about a girl I had met and how I didn't think that she liked me. I'd tried to talk with her a bunch but she seemed quiet. He then went on to say, "Well, Charity, maybe you scare her!"

What?

(Alright, I can be scary, I guess.)

THEN, in trying to work through a recent conflict with my best friend, Steph, she declared her reasonings in dealing with me were very much caused by my ability to be, let see...I think she said it like this, "Um..You can be...umm *stutter, stammer* just very persuasive!"

Persuasive. I never would have called myself this or at least not in a negative way and yet I got the clear sense that it wasn't a compliment?! (I'm just kidding you, Steph.)

SO...Hopefully the rest of you will have a very self-aware day so I am not alone, and if you need some help...Just call me! I'm apparently scary and persuasive enough to tell you what you need to know! :)

3 comments:

Sandy said...

you always tell me what I neede to know, but i keep calling anyway! Thanks for all of your love and support!

Anonymous said...

You're sweet. Miss you...

night-rider said...

This post cracked me up. No wonder we are friends - most people would describe me in the self-same terms. Still, it's good to know yourself, even if you do have to be told occasionally :)