Thursday, July 26, 2007

Dedication by Desert

Ecc. 4:10 says:

"If one falls down,
his friend can help him up.
But pity the man who falls
and has no one to help him up!"


It's late and I was driving home from an evening out with some of my close friends here tonight.

I'll be honest...they forced me to go. They've been doing it all week.

I'll also admit that I came back from my trip home pretty worn out and beaten down. The underneath of my bed comforter was looking very nice...at 8am...at 2pm...at 5:30pm...

You get it into your head that it is okay to pity yourself. To start to think that your own pain is unique or greater than someone else's. And then, God gives you a verse like above and you realize that the one who needs pity is the man who has no one to help him up when he's down...and not just with an evening out or a good laugh, but with a sincere word from God and an encouragement to keep on in the faith.

I've wanted to become that kind of friend to people around me. It's been a "mission" of sorts these past few years and lately I've been thinking it was just too hard. Tonight I was reminded (along with many times this week from many people) what it feels like to have someone sacrificially be that to me. It seems to often be a "divine appointment". Just the moment of need...just the right thing to be said.

Maybe I'll never be completely okay being so far away from what I've known and suffering the feeling of loss of friendships that are in the past but of this I am sure...

God has given me many true friends for this time in my life that want to pick me up. I know this because my voicemail is full of high-pressured messages to get my butt out of the house and come for fun (and help)!

So, tonight it was that dedication over desert with my Southern girlfriends. They forced me to share and listened with hearts that want to help. I laughed and laughed and it was great to have daunting thoughts be pushed aside with new memories.

I guess it's kind of good that no one reads my blog anymore because I don't have to feel silly about these rambling posts...

Thank you..Thank you...Thank you, God-for sending your messengers of love and peace when we don't deserve it. My sisters who long to glorify you are your hands and feet and they are swift to yank me back to the land of the living!

("Shout Out" to my husband who also hangs in there for me with the greatest loyalty...but sometimes you just need a girl and a BIG brownie!)



5 comments:

Stephanie said...

I will try very hard to not be completely squashed by this post...NO ONE READS ANYMORE?!?! Last time I checked, I had a pulse...*sigh* don't take me personally, I have two five year old boys that refuse to go to sleep and a HUGE headache to prove it! :) What was I thinking!?!
Seriously, glad you got out and had a laugh. It is fun to have a girl's night isn't it!

Charity said...

HEY! Don't feel squahed-You know you're my favorite girl around!

I always run a risk of these posts potentially hurting your feelings..I know, because I've felt how hard it is to read you guy's blogs about getting together for events when I can't be there...although lately your parties sound stressful! :)

(Seriously, can you believe these things are still important at our age?)

I wasn't meaning to offend by the "no one reads my blog anymore"-I just know how frustrating it can be when someone like me doesn't keep it up! It gets old to keep checking it!

Thank you for coming back!

Stephanie said...

I'm appeased! Good girl. LOL
Well, the boys fell asleep around 11:30 and Isaiah woke up at 3am ready to party until about 6. What is UP with that child? When he couldn't crawl out of the crib I could just let him talk and not worry but now I'm always wondering...is he out somewhere in the house?

Anonymous said...

Ok - where did you go out to eat and how big can a Desert get? Julie

Charity said...

Jules...

That's MiMi's! Apparently their deserts are just as great as the entrees.

I highly recommend the Bread Pudding if you like that if not...the chocolate pecan pie was amazing! Seriously...you get a whole pie!