Monday, June 11, 2007

Relative

I've always been a little "celebrity struck". It's not uncommon for me to enjoy a particular celebrity, author or singer so much that I wonder what it might be like to be a relative to one of them.

You know, hundreds of people might swarm around or gather to hear them but if one of the backstage peeps gets word that a relative or best friend is needing them-they stop the show to give priority.

That's what came to my mind today as I heard this verse:

Luke 8:19-21

Now Jesus' mother and brothers came to see him, but they were not able to get near him because of the crowd.

Someone told him, "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to see you."

He replied, "My mother and brothers are those who hear God's word and put it into practice."


Imagine it with me...Tons of people had come around Jesus to hear Him speak and see Him perform miracles. His "backstage guys" the disciples get word that Mary and Jesus' brothers had shown up and couldn't get to him through all of the crowd.

You have to think what they expected, right? My Pastor called it "doin' the family thing...giving a family hug!". I can only speculate how the crowd felt when they overheard Him correct them. He explains that it is those that HEAR and OBEY that are His relatives. His priority.

And what a statement of caution to me. Not to fear my position with God but to realize that Christ's relatives have BIG EARS...they are BIG DOERS. Their security is not in some random prayer or family church connection. You will be able to identify them.

Question today for myself...Am I asking God to teach me and reveal my heart (not with my own agenda to want to learn what will make me feel better) to help me be able to listen without holding back or getting distracted? And then to simply obey.

No comments: