Thursday, June 21, 2007

What a difference a website makes!

I'm sure many of you have experienced this (good and bad) but today I came across an e-mail address on the web of an old friend that I had while working in Mexico after I graduated from high-school.

In spite of a very boring, ordinary day...I was elated! It caused me to think back to a time long ago that I have the most amazing memories. I don't talk about my work in Mexico much but it was life-changing for me. I met some missionaries that were exactly what you would think of when you think of the "epitome" of mission work and I really changed that summer. I have a million pictures and hope to put a few in the next post.

Connie...my friend, was about ten or fifteen years older than me at the time so she was about my age now. When I think about how kind and patient she was to be close with me and listen to my petty thoughts and concerns....I'm impressed! I have to work really hard to do that with younger people. We had some great laughs and just looking over the website, I was transported back to that time of self-abandonment and total service to a community of impoverished people who needed truth and hope. I know it sounds romantic....and it was.

I cried every time I had to come back across the border to the states. I could have camped in deep Mexico forever...and "camped" was the right word.

I don't know-maybe I'll go back one day. I want my boys to see what I saw and experience another culture.

You gotta love the Internet, don't ya'? Instant connection...Love it!

No comments: