Sunday, December 03, 2006

It's a Man's World

Well, it's finally happening.

The boys are eating me out of house and home.

I knew the day would come that they would catch on to the joy of food and never stop wanting it but it has come faster than I would have anticipated. With our current job situation, I am trying to make the pantry stretch a little more than usual and I am losing the battle cookie by cookie.

Tonight, I fed them frozen waffles. It's a staple item in our freezer and while they are fairly cheap, my boys could eat a box of them in one sitting.

I certainly don't want to deprive them of nourishment but I also want to teach them some level of self-control. I suppose I need to consult a mom of teen-aged boys if this is unreasonable...Or maybe just pointless!

I had just taken Sam to the track with me to scooter while I walked and I'm guessing that the 2 1/2 miles he did worked up an appetite.

After he scarfed down two waffles he came into the living room where I was eating one plain waffle as a snack. "I'm still starving, Mom. I want another one!"

"No, Sam...Two is enough. If you drink your milk and sit a while you'll be surprised how full you feel."

*sniffle and whine* "Mom...I'm starving!"

"You can't be starving. I'm an adult and I'm only eating one and without any syrup!"

"You don't count, Mamma...You are just trying to be skinny!"

*sigh*

True.

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

True so true - they can eat and eat and not gain a pound (until you marry them!lol)

Anonymous said...

...I was always fed till I busted, because mom said, "I want you to enjoy eating like this while you can." I don't know what that taught me...except that I was the "fat Cheerleader" in high school.