Thursday, May 31, 2007

Surgery Update

This is Matt, by the way, posting on Charity's Blog.

Here is a little surgery update, for those of you who are concerned about my wife. Once she feels up to it, I am sure that she will give a much better update, with all of the fun, interesting details, but for now you will have to be satisfied with my version of what happened.

Charity's parents had come down a couple of days early so that we could spend some time with them before she didn't feel like having fun. So, we left for the hospital yesterday, the boys stayed home with Grandpa, and after a little while in the waiting room, we were finally ready to go, gown and all, by about 1:00. They gave her a couple of shots of the "don't worry, be happy" medicine, and by 2:30 she had left us for the operating room.

She ended up only being in surgery from 2:30 to 3:30. The doctor came out and told us everything went well. She had had a tonsillectomy and a septoplasty. (Don't ask me what that second thing is.) After a couple more hours we were able to go back to the recovery room.

Before the surgery she had some concerns about being able to breathe when it was all over. This is understandable since she was having her nose and her throat operated on. She was nervous that the doctor would leave "packing" in her nose, so it was a real answer to prayer when the doctor came out to talk to us when he told us that there was no packing in her nose. When I saw her afterwards, I asked her if she could breathe, and she told me that she could breathe better than before. We were all relieved.

There has also been no bleeding, which was my biggest concern. There has been a little bit of drainage in the nose, but nothing to be concerned about. The last issue though is the issue of the pain. I am not going to lie to you. It is bad. Of course I am just relaying it from the source, but she has told me that it is much worse than she anticipated.

So overall, it is not a pleasant situation. She is looking at a few hard days coming up, but she is resilient, and she will survive.

I know that she would appreciate your prayers. If you would like to drop her a note, her e-mail is theharmlesses@gmail.com

More later.

3 comments:

Sandy said...

Charity, loving you and praying for you from far away. Thanks for the post, I appreciate you thinking of me, even when you are feeling lousy. Love ya, and glad it is all through. p.s. is your nose as swollen as it was a about a week before Sam was born??? If so, Matt must take pictures and at least email them Northward!!

Anonymous said...

Wish I could have seen "the pregnancy nose" in person, but I was able to experience it through photos- I still am sorry about my response- not very affirming! Seriously though, we are praying for you daily- giving the kids (esp. Austin) few details so he doesn't do a "Sam" and tell the entire children's choir to be praying for some mysterious nose disease you have. Really.. we love you and look foward to seeing some of those beautiful pool acrobatics this summer!

Lori

Stephanie said...

THinking of you and hoping you get some relief soon!